Kerala biriyanis are distinct by the dominating flavor of green chilly. This is a spicy, rich biriyani bursting with Kerala flavors.
I already have an easy biriyani here. Though it was flavorful, it was more of rustic style (a thattikootu biriyani). unlike the former this I made it in authentic Dum method. I called this one easy as it requires no sautéing process, the most time consuming process in cooking. Here we don’t need to chop heaps of onion again sparing you from shedding tears. One sad thing is that, it cannot be prepared in a jiffy as the poultry required to be marinated for long hours. That’s not a matter when we don’t need to sweat in the kitchen, right? I was very dubious about the outcome as I never ever imagined a biriyani masala without adding onions. All such misconceptions were just vanished when I tasted it.
It was such a delicious or even more tastier than the normal one. I would say it is a must try. Once you make this, you will end up in making this again and again
1. Chicken- ¾ kg ,cleaned and cut into medium sized pieces
2. Cashew nuts-10nos
3. Poppy seeds (kus kus)2tsp
4. Oil or ghee-2tbsp
5. For the marinade
Ginger-1 big pieces,peeled
Green chilly-7 nos
Mint leaves-one handful
Coriander leaves-one handful
Unsour thick curd-1/4 cup
Biriyani masala powder-2tbsp( I have used eastern brand)
red chilly powder-1tsp
garam masala powder-3/4 tsp
6. For the Rice
Basmathi rice or jeera rice-2 n ½ cup (around 500 gm)
Whole spices-cardamom 8nos,cinnamon sticks 2,star anise 1,cloves 1nos
Water of cooking the rice
7. For layering
Saffron- a pinch soaked in 3 tbsp. of warm milk
Cashew nuts and kismiss-50 gms each
Onion-2 medium, thinly sliced
Chopped mint and coriander – a few
Method of preparation
1. Cook rice by adding plenty of water and whole spices. When it is half cooked, add lemon juice and salt. Cook till ¾ th done. Drain it and keep it aside.
2. Grind together ginger,garlic,green chilly and greens into smooth paste. Mix all other ingredients listed under for the marinade. Take a bowl, add the chicken and the marinade. Massage the pieces well with the marinade and keep it in the fridge for minimum of 2 hours. (should not keep in the freezer.) overnight marination is best.
3. Grind together cashew and poppy seeds into smooth paste.
4. Take a biriyani pot or a thick bottomed pan. Heat oil or ghee. Fry cashew and kismiss till golden brown. Also fry onions till brown. Keep this aside for later use.
5. In the same oil add chicken. Give a nice mix. If required add ¼ cup of water and cook for 5 to 8 minutes. Add cashew and poppy seed paste mix again. Once chicken is half cooked, layer the rice on top of this chicken. Sprinkle all the ingredients mentioned under for layering.
6. now it is the time for dum. for that take a sheet of aluminum foil which fits well to cover the pot. Cover the pot with the foil. Carefully pour ½ glass of water over the foil. Now keep the lid over pot covered with foil.(pls chk this link to see how to do dum) Keep it in low flame for 20 to 30 minutes or once the water above foil is really hot you can be sure that the biriyani is done.
8. Open the lid carefully. Now you can feel the fragrance of biriyani all over the kitchen. Mix the rice and meat very gently. Enjoy with raitha,papad and pickle