This is usually served as a side dish in Kerala Sadhya. Sadhya comprises of huge numbers of vegetarian curries. These curries are mild spicy and are added with less or no masala. We keralites are hard core no vegetarians :). Of late this kinds of masala curries are introduced in Sadyas to satisfy the Carnivorous taste buds. It may vary with regions. Macaroni may be replaced with soya chunks or Bread. This curry is really spicy and tasty too !!
1. Macaroni (cooked)- 2 n ½ cup
2. Onion- 2 medium nos, chopped
3. Ginger and garlic- 1 tbsp each, chopped
4. Tomato- 2 small, chopped
5. Chilly powder- 2tsp
6. Garam masala- 1tsp + ½ tsp
7. Thenga kothu (coconut bits)- 4tbsp
8. Coconut oil-1tbsp+ 1tbsp
9. Water- less than ¼ cup
10. Curry leaves –one handful
Method of preaparation
1. Heat 1 tbsp oil in pan. Add ginger and garlic. Sauté for a minute. Add in onions and sauté until onion turns slightly brown. Add tomatoes, chilly powder ,1 tsp garam masala and salt. Sprinkle little water and sauté again until tomato melts.
2. Add the cooked macaroni. Mix well. Add water .Close the pan .Let the macaroni absorbs the flavor. Stir in between. Once the water dries up, increase the flame and roast the macaroni well by giving continuous stir. (just 3 or 4 minutes) switch off the flame.
3. In another pan heat the remaining 1 tbsp oil. Add coconut bits and curry leaves. Fry till the coconut turns light brown. Switch off the flame. Add in the remaining ½ tsp garam masala. Pour this over the prepared macaroni. Mix well.(Do not omit this step as it gives special flavor and taste)