This is one regular thing in my kitchen .I always being lazy to do a post on this recipe for no reason :).Everyone’s favorite Maggi noodles has been banned and lot of controversies is going on. I guess this is the right time to do a post on this recipe as this Masala Semiya resembles Maggi in appearance and taste as well. Hope this one can be a boon to all desperate magi lovers like me.
Semiya , these cute strings are my utmost favorite. I love to have it any form sweet or savory. While I was kid, it was my duty to break long strings of semiya for making payasam.But now things are easy as broken roasted semiya is available everywhere. I make sure to buy a packet of semiya on every grocery purchase. Whenever I feel like to binge on something I make this masala semiya.When I made this last time, I was struggling to get my plate from my little Kannan.Yes he also loves it. It was fun watching him gobble up those strings. Whenever he is reluctant to take baby foods, I make this to feed him. This recipe is simple and can be made in a jiffy. This is a basic recipe. Chicken or vegetables can be added to make it more nutritious and flavorful.
1. Roasted semiya-200gm
2. Onion-1 small, chopped
3. Ginger – ½ inch piece, chopped
4. Garlic-5 pods, chopped
5. Tomato-1 medium, chopped
6. Whole spices-1 or 2 cardamoms,2cloves,1 small stick of cinnamon
7. Coriander powder-1 tsp
8. Chilly powder-1/2tsp
9. Garam masala-3/4tsp
12. Water- for 1 cup of semiya around 1 cup of water to be required. It may vary depends on the type or brand of semiya.So add water accordingly.
Method of preparation
1. Heat oil in a pan. Add whole spices .when the aroma comes add ginger and garlic. Sauté for a minute.Add onions and saute until onion turns soft. Add in all powders and stir for a minute. Add chopped tomatoes and a tbsp of water .Cook until it turns mushy.
2. Add salt and required quantity of water. Let it boil. Add semiya in. Mix well. Reduce the flame. Cover and cook until water dries up and semiya is cooked through. Stir in between to prevent it from sticking to the pan. Switch off the flame .Separate the strings and give a nice mix again using a fork and serve hot.