I guess there is no standard recipe for pepper chicken. Ultimately the taste of pepper should be dominant. Pepper chicken varies greatly in each restaurant. This I have prepared in my own way. I made a gravy version since I wanted my curry to be paired with rice. Here I have not used chilly powder and all the heat comes from pepper also have used a bit more de seeded green chillies to add some extra flavor. Curry was delicious with rich gravy .It pairs well with rice or rotis.
1. Chicken- 750gm,cleaned and cut into medium sized pieces
2. Onion-2 large, thinly sliced
3. Tomato-1medium+ 1 small, cut into squares
4. Ginger-1 inch piece, chopped
5. Garlic-1 small bulb, chopped
6. Whole black pepper-1tbsp
7. Whole spices-cardamom 4nos,clove 4nos,cinnamon 1medium stick
8. Coriander powder-3tsp heaped
9. Garam masala powder-1tsp
10. Green chilly -6 or 7 de seeded
13. Water-1/2 cup or more ( check the consistency of the gravy .Add water accordingly)
Method of preparation
1. Heat oil in a pan. Add whole spices and pepper. When the aroma comes, add ginger and garlic and sauté for 2 minutes. Add in onions and salt .Cook until onion turns slightly brown
2. Add in all powders and one tomato. Stir until raw smell of powders disappears. Switch off the flame. Let this masala cool a bit. Grind this into smooth paste by adding little water.
3. Pour grinded masala back into the pan. Add water and enough salt. Bring it to boil. Add chicken pieces in. Reduce the flame. Cover the pan and cook until chicken is cooked through and gravy thickens. Lastly add remaining chopped tomatoes and switch off the flame.
Let it stand for some time.Serve with plain rice,pulav or rotis