Jam roll was in my to do list for long time. But the thought of getting it right made me stayed away from it. But once I made this, I realized how simple and fun rolling a sheet of cake.jam rolls are my brothers favorite. He buys this on every bakery purchase. Definitely anything sweet is my favorite too :)
For making this, very few ingredients are needed.Success of the recipe totally lies on the beating of eggs.So make sure you beat the eggs till fluffy.When I googled I could see lots of recipes which doesn’t call for any leavening agent but I was bit skeptical about the result.So I chose this recipe which uses baking powder.Anyway i am glad that I got it the way I expected it to be..
1. Maida or All purpose flour-3/4 cup
3. Sugar-1 cup
4. Baking powder-1tsp
6. Vanilla essence-1tsp
8. Powdered sugar- around ¼ cup
Method of preparation
1. Preheat the oven at 200◦line a baking tray with foil paper or butter paper. Grease with oil or butter sprinkle flour all over .invert the pan and tap to remove excess flour.
2. In a bowl beat eggs for 5 minutes until thick and fluffy. Add in sugar and beat again. Add water and vanilla essence and give a gentle mix. Now add the flour, baking soda and salt. Gently fold in.
3. Pour into the prepared baking tray. Bake at 200◦ for 10-12 minutes or until the inserted tooth pick comes clean.
4. Mean time, keep a clean cloth ready. Spread it on a table or kitchen top. Sprinkle powdered sugar over this with the size of the cake.
5. Once the cake is cooked, loosen the sides of the cake from the pan and carefully invert the tray over the cloth sprinkled with powdered sugar. Then remove the foil carefully.
6. Beat jam with a whisk or a fork to loosen it. Then apply this all over the cake .Gently roll the cake along with the cloth. Keep it tightly wrapped for 10 minutes. Then remove the cloth .A log of jam roll is ready. Slice and serve..