Making biriyani is a time consuming process for many (not for all).i know many ladies who cook biriyani faster than any other dish. This recipe is for those who lacks time and patience ( like me :)).This recipe uses very less oil and can be done within 30 minutes. It tastes great too. Do try this and surprise your spouse and kids.
1. Rice-1 cup(any long grain rice or jeera rice)
2. Whole spices-4cardamom,4 cloves,1 cinnamon stick,1 bay leaf
3. Carrot –half of one thinly sliced
5. Lemon juice-1tblsp
7. Chicken-150gm,cut into medium sized pieces.
8. Onion-2nos,thinly sliced
9. Ginger-1 inch piece, crushed
10. Garlic-10 pods, crushed
11. Green chilly-6nos,desseded and crushed
12. Mint leaves and corinder leaves-a hand full of each, crushed
13. Biriyani masala-1 tblsp,1 tblsp
14. Turmeric powder-1/2tsp
16. Curd-1/4 cup
18. Tomato-1 no chopped
20. Rose water –a tsp
21. A pinch of saffron dissolved in ¼ cup of milk(purely optional
22. Chopped pineapple,chopped mint n coriander leaves -a few)
Method of preparation
1. Cook rice by adding ingredients 2-6.When the rice has cooked to 3/4th drain and keep it aside.
2. Mix ingredients 8 -16.marinate chicken pieces well with this.Cook chicken by adding ½ cup of water.
3. Mean time heat oil in another pan .add chopped tomatoes in and cook till it turns mushy. Add cooked chicken along with the masala into this. Stir well and cook for another 5 minutes or till the gravy thicken and coated well with the pieces.
4. Now the layering part-take thick bottomed vessel or a pressure cooker. Keep the chicken masala in. Add the cooked rice over the top. Add chopped leaves and pineapple. Sprinkle saffron milk and rose water. Cover the pot and cook on low flame for 15 minutes. Open the pot and serve hot with any raitha.
If you are in hurry just skip the layering part just mix everything gently.Since i was in hurry i did mix everything and served :)