Paneer butter masala …the most famous and classic Indian curry.This is the one thing we order whenever we go to a vegetarian restaurant. Since the time I started cooking I ve been trying to make this dish at home and have tried many recipes from various sources but every time it ended up in a disaster. Then I just stopped experimenting with butter paneer with a misconception that I cannot reproduce restaurant quality Butter paneer at home. Whenever we buy Paneer we consume it as a stir fry or tikka.We use to have chappathi or dosa for dinner .Finding a good and easy side dish everyday is quite difficult .My husband prefers gravy side dish to tikkas.So I planned my own recipe on this dish and decided not add any expensive ingredients like cashew or cream .Since I dont want totake a risk on something which was never a success. But to my surprise it turned out extremely delicious !!! Exactly the same or much better than that of what we have in restaurants. I would like to share this simple recipe with you too..Please do try and surprise your spouse and guests with this delicious curry..
Cooking time-20 min.
Serving-2 to 3
1. Paneer-200gms,cut into cubes
2. Onion-2 large,thinly sliced
3. Ginger garlic paste-2tsp
4. Tomato-2 medium ,roughly chopped
5. Cumin seeds(jeera)-1/4tsp
6. Cardamom-2 nos
7. Kashmiry chilly powder-1tbsp heaped
8. Garam masala-1tsp+1tsp
9. Jeera powder-1/2tsp
10. Kasuri methi-2tbsp heaped ( it is dried leaves of methi (uluva)and is available in all supermarkets)
15. Wate-1 cup or more
17. Corinder leaves- 2 tbsps,chopped
Method of preparation
1. Heat oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds and cardamom.when it changes its color add ginger garlic paste and sauté for 2 min or till its raw smell goes.
2. Add thinly sliced onion and salt into this and cook until onion turns transparent and slightly brown.Add the chilly powder,jeerapowder and 1 tsp garam masala.(keep the remaining 1 tsp garam masala aside).sprinkle 1 or 2 tbsp of water and stir till the raw smell of powders disappears. Add the tomatoes in and cook till melts. Lastly add kasuri methi.Swith of the flame
3. Allow the prepared masala to cool.Grind it into smooth paste by adding little water.
4. Pour it back into the pan ,add 1 cup of water and boil the gravy in medium flame till it reaches very thick consistency.
5. Add paneer and mix well. Pour 1 cup of milk. Heat till it reaches smooth thick gravy. Check for saltiness.Switch off the stove.
6. Add butter and sprinkle remaining garam masala,coriander leaves and sugar evenly .keep it closed for some time.
Enjoy this delicious curry with chappathi,naan etc..
Notes: If the curry turns too thick add little more water and just heat for few minutes.
Use only Kashmiri chilly as it gives right thickness and color to the gravy.If you want to use normal chilly ,then reduce its quantity.