1. Cherupayar parippu( moong dal)-200gm
3. Thick coconut milk-1 cup
4. Thin coconut milk-4 cups
6. Cardamom -4nos
7. Chukku podi (dry ginger powder)-1/4tsp(optional)
9. Cashew nuts and raisins-a few
10. Thenga kothu(coconut pieces)-1tbsp
Method of preparation
1. Fry dal till light brown without adding any oil. Once it has cooled ,wash it and cook in a pressure cooker by adding 1 cup of water till it becomes soft
2. Mean while, remove the skin of cardamom ,take out the seeds and powder it in a mixie by adding sugar.(addition of sugar helps in getting fine powder)
3. Grate jaggery. Melt this in a Uruli or thick bottomed vessel. Add little water while it is melting. Add cooked dal .Mix well. Add 2tbsp of ghee into this. Stir well. When the dal and jaggery combined well, add thin coconut milk. Bring it to boil. Stir in between. Once the payasam thickens, add thick coconut milk, powdered cardamom and chukku.Heat for a while. Do not let it boil.
4. Heat remaining ghee in another pan. Add the coconut pieces and cashew .Once it slightly browned add the raisins. Fry till the raisins puffed up, and the cashew –coconut pieces turned brown. Pour this over the prepared payasam…
Enjoy the delicious parippu payasam…
Notes: If the payasam is too thin, add a tbsp of corn flour or rice flour dissolved in little water .Then boil the payasam for sometime.