1. Prawns- 1 ½ cup, shelled and deveined
3. Curry leaves-1sprig
4. Kudam puli(cocum)-2 or 3 nos
5. Green chilly-2nos,cut length wise
6. Grated coconut-1 cup
7. Turmeric powder-1/4tsp
8. Coriander powder-3 1/2 tbsp
9. Chilly powder-1tbsp
12. Water-1 1/2cup
13. Coconut oil-1tbsp
14. Mustard seeds-less than 1/4tsp
15. Curry leaves- a few
16. Pearl onion- 2nos,cut into thin round slices
Method of preparation
1. Wash kudampuli 3 times and soak in ¼ cup of water and some salt.
2. Heat a pan without adding any oil-roast the grated coconut by continuous stirring. When it turns brown reduce the flame, add in all powders and perumjeerakom.Stir again for 2 minutes. Switch off the flame. Once it has cooled completely, grind this into smooth paste by adding little water.
3. Transfer kudampuli along with the water, roasted coconut paste, chopped ginger, prawns, curry leaves, green chilly ,salt and water into a meen chatty or in a deep bottomed pan . Cook until prawns are well cooked.
4. For seasoning-heat coconut oil in pan. Splutter mustard seeds; add curry leaves and pearl onions. Fry till onions turn lightly brown. Pour this over the prepared curry.
Chemmeen theeyal is a very delicious curry and it goes well with rice…