1. Fish -8 medium slices
2. Green chilly-1 or 2
4. Coconut oil-1tbsp
5. Curry leaves-a few
6. Tamarind-1 small lemon sized ball
8. Water-1 ½ cup+1/4 cup
9. For grinding
· grated coconut-3/4cup
· ginger-1”inch piece
· pearl onions(chuvanulli)-4nos
· chilly powder-1tsp
· turmeric powder-1/4tsp
Method of preparation
1. Soak tamarind in ¼ cup of water and some salt for 10 minutes.
2. Grind ingredients listed under for grinding into smooth paste by adding little water.
3. Squeeze the tamarind to take the extract and mix it with the grinded coconut paste. Transfer this into a meen chatty. Add remaining water,slitted green chilly and some curry leaves. If require add some more salt.
4. When it boils add fish pieces in. Mix well. Close with a lid. Reduce the flame. Let it cook for 10 mutes or until the fish has cooked and gravy thickens.
5. Lastly add coconut oil, tomato and some more curry leaves. Gently swirl the Chatty.Let it rest for some time
Enjoy with steamed rice ,Kappa vevichathu …
· Any type of fish can be used for this curry. Adjust the cooking time according to the type of fish. If you are using karimeen or very tender fish, that will get cooked within 5 minutes. Over cooking leads to crumbling of fish pieces.
· Tamarind can be substituted with 2 or 3 pieces of kudampuli.Once it reaches enough tanginess take out the kudampuli from the curry.
· The color of the gravy depends on the type of chilly powder. Here I have used kashmiri chilly .Adjust the spice level according to your taste buds.