Karimeen also known as Pearl spot is a very famous fish widely present in the backwaters of Kerala. This fish has got very distinctive flavor and is very tender. Kappa and Karimeen is one of the most famous Kerala delicacy
1. Karimeen(pearls spot)-4nos
2. Pearl onions-10nos,thinly sliced
3. Green chilly-2 or 3
4. Ginger-2tbsp julienned
6. Chilly powder-1tbsp
8. Coconut milk-1 ½ cup
10. Curry leaves
Method of preparation
1. Wash kudampuli 3 times and soak in ¼ cup of water and salt for 10 minutes.
2. Clean the fish .make few slits on both sides.
3. Heat oil in a wide pan. Add curry leaves, ginger garlic and green chilly sauté for 2minutes.Add the onion stir for 2 minute. Now add the chilly powder. Stir well. Add the kudampuli and coconut milk. Add salt.Let it boil. Add the fish in. Swirl the pan in order to cover the fish with gravy. Let it cook for 8 minutes by covering the pan. Serve with appam or rice
Notes: It is better to prepare the curry in advance so that the flavors can set in. Take care not to overcook the fish as it may result in crumbling of the fish. You can substitute kudampuli with some chopped tomatoes.