1. Toor dal-1/4 cup
2. Tamarind-1 lemon sized ball
3. Sambar powder-2tbsp
4. Turmeric powder-1/2tsp
7. Coriander leaves-one hand full
· Drum stick-2nos,cut lengthwise
· Vellarikka/madras cucumber-1/2 cup, cubed
· Ladies finger-5nos,cut into medium long pieces
· Pearl onion-8nos /1 onion sliced
· Green chilly-2nos,slitted
1. Curry leaves-2sprigs
2. Pearl onions-2nos,cut into thin circles
3. Mustard seeds-1/4 tsp
4. Fenugreek seeds-2 pinches
5. Dry red chilly-2nos
6. Asfoetida-a pinch
Method of preparation
1. Dissolve 1tsp of salt in ¼ cup of water. Soak tamarind in this for 15 min.squeeze out to extract the juice.
2. Cook toor dal by adding ,turmeric powder,1cup of water and 1 tsp of oil in a pressure cooker up to 4 or 5 whistles. Let the pressure come down ,open the cooker mash the dal well. Into this add all the vegetables, except tomato and ladies finger and some water just enough to cover the veggies . Cook up to 3 whistles.
3. Mix sambar powder with ½ cup of water. Keep it aside.
4. Heat oil in a pan sauté ladies finger and tomato for 5 minutes.
5. Now add this sauted ladies finger,tomato,sambar powder,tamarind juice in to the pressure cooked vegetables. Let it boil for 5miutes.lastly add coriander leaves.
6. For tempering-heat oil, splutter mustards seeds, add all other ingredients. Stir until onion turns brown. Switch off the flame. Pour this over the prepared sambar.keep the sambar closed for some time.mix well just before serving.
NOTES : I used eastern brand sambar powder,quantity of powder to be added may vary with the brand. So adjust it accordingly. Red masoor dal also can be used instead of toor dal.