KAPPA(TAPIOCA) BIRIYANI/ KAPPA IRACHI
For meat curry
1. Beef-1kg,cut in to medium sized pieces
2. Onion-4 nos, thinly sliced
3. Ginger-2 ½ tbsp chopped
4. Garlic-2 ½ tbsp chopped
5. Green chilly-5 nos,cut length wise
6. Chilly powder-5 tsp
7. Coriander powder-6tsp
8. Turmeric powder-3/4 tsp
9. Garam masala -1 ½ tsp
10. Whole spices- cardamom-4nos,cloves-6nos,cinnamon-2sticks,star anise-1no
12. Water-1/2 cup
1. Kappa/tapioca-1 kg,peeled and cut into cubes
2. Green chilly-3 or 4
3. Pearl onions- 4 nos or half of one big onion
6. Garam masala-1tsp
7. Turmeric powder-1tsp
8. Grated coconut-1 ½ cup
Method of preparation
1. Heat oil in a pressure cooker. Add all spices stir for a minute.
2. Add chopped ginger, garlic and green chilly stir for 5 min
3. Add onions sauté until onion turns soft.
4. Add all powders stir for 5min.add salt
5. Add beef, mix well with the masala.add water and cook upto 4 or 5 whistles.when it is done switch off the flame.let the pressure escapes completely. Add the vinegar. Keep this curry aside.(there should be some gravy remaining)
1. cook tapioca in plenty of water. When the water starts boil add salt. Cook until it turns soft and mushy. Switch off the flame drain the water completely. Mash it and keep aside.
2. In a mixer grinder, grind ingredients 2-7 ,add coconut and grind into a coarse mixture.
3. Keep the cooked kappa on low flame. Keep coconut mix over the top. Close with a lid.keep in flame for 5 min.
4. Add this cooked kappa into the beef curry ,mix well. Serve hot.