(description seems elaborate but the preparation is really easy )
1. Raw rice (pachari)-2 cups
2. Grated coconut-3/4 cup
4. For Warm water-1/2 cup
6. Cooked rice ¼ cup(optional)
method of preparation
1. soak rice for 3-4 hours.
2. Dissolve 2tbsp of sugar in warm water n add in yeast.let it rise.
3. Grind first batch of soaked rice with out coconut into fine paste by adding little water.reserve ¼ cup of this batter for kappi .(kappi kachal is the process for getting soft appam)
4. Grind second batch of rice with coconur,sugar,cooked rice.
5. For kappi- mix ¼ cup of reserved batter with 2 cups of water in a sauce pan.boil it until this mix
Become .(while boiling stir it in between since the mix tend to stick to the bottom of the pan).keep aside to cool.
6 Mix kappi,risen yeast with the batter.keep this in warm place for 8 hrs or overnight
7 After this resting time add 1 tsp o f salt ,mix well.the batter consistency can be adjusted by adding water.(it should not be too loose or too thick)
8 Heat appachatti pour a ladle full of batter n swirl the pan to spread the batter in circular form.close with lid n cook.when it is cooked appam will get easily separated from the pan.or wet your fingers with water and touch the middle of appam ,if it is not sticking then it is cooked.
9 Serve hot..